Translate

Popular Posts

Wednesday 18 June 2014

World Cup and Burritos

 I'm not a sports person and that's the truth. Only when Bangladesh  In my 4 years of Boston, it was only in my 3rd year I really knew what the superbowl was only because I was in transit and it was showing Red Hot Chilli Peppers' Superbowl performance and it drew my attention.

However- I am Bangali and that means I am inherently bound to be super excited when the Football World Cup comes around every 4 years. I watch much of the games ( a little screen open during work) and suddenly google the hell out of the players and join in on the online banter.

This is the first time I'm in the US during the cup and so I thought it befitting to watch the game at a proper sports bar.

Phoenix Landing in Central Square Cambridge was known to be one of the top spots. I was greeted by a long queue and a flautist playing various patriotic songs for the US at the door.

And What a beginning to a game, USA scored a goal in the first minute. however the dark pub with its overcrowded audience was too loud for my sensitive ears to handle- plus I was hungry and didnt want to wait forever for a table. So me and my football enthusiast (Bangali of course) friend Shumi went hunting for a better place to watch in peace. We stopped by the Middle East for a few minutes before coming to the conclusion the dingy layout and slow service was annoying us. Thanks to yelp, (yes yes yes, still using yelp) we read the a small Mexican place was also showing the games down the street. AND FINALLY we found bliss.

This little Mexican place had two small screens, a few tables and plenty of space to breath.

Beantown Taqueria - Mexican Soul Food www.beantowntaqueria.com/





So we sat with our orders to have a grand time. 

Shumi ordered a fish sandwhich and I ordered a burrito bowl (bhaat for the Bangal) and it was delicious.






The end of the match was so incredible, Ghana scoring and USA retaliating in a split second. But the funnest part was watching the game in Spanish! The commentators' regular tone of voice is as excited as a regular one's super excitement at a goal or something. AND when there's a goal, forget about it- the sheer intonations and movement of the voices were to be admired. I have actually started watching all the games in Spanish for this reason. Brilliant voice work!! 

I thought it was very sweet when the immigrant staff like myself watched the game in hope, waiting for US to score- and his joy when his newfound home country won was priceless. You have to hand it to America , even the Bangali in me feels like this place is my home. 



Okay homies, one more thing, my campaign to raise money for my first ever English album is one, so PLEASE check it out/share/contribute/send me feedback. Anything is appreciated!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

My new single Graceland!