Translate

Popular Posts

Sunday 28 February 2010

Kolkata's "Kewpies"

This post is about my favourite restaurant in Calcutta (Kolkata) called "Kewpies." Suggested to me by my (vegetarian) Serbian friend, when I was living in Shantiniketon, this place was where I would treat myself on a special occasion with its super yummy (non vegetarian) Thalis.

Authentic West Bengal food mainly consists of Fish, vegetables cooked in mustard oil, with mustard seeds, yogourt and some other specialities, which makes it differ from Bangladeshi Food. Obviously as a food Buff, I love it. My favourites are Doi Potol, Doi Begun and Doi Mach (vegetables/fish cooked in yogourt)
I had a the pleasure of dining in a family friends' house in Calcutta, and yes of course the home food was out of this world. But this restuarant is a close 2nd to my favourite place to eat in Calcutta, after Lala and Gautam's House.
Sadly, I was busy devouring the fish, called "Bhaapa Elish" (Hilsa fish marinated in mustard seeds and other spices, and then steamed), so I don't a picture of the highlight of the place, but here is a picture of a regular Thali.
It comes with your choice of rice, papadums, bread, your choice of 2 veg items from the menu and you can order a Fish Thali (2 kinds of fish) or Chicken/Mutton Thali or even a Mix. (you can also order ala carte.)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. uuuf the desi style thali...though I have never tried the desi style I have had the southern style thali...but none the less this looks good

    ReplyDelete
  2. the food looks good, but u didn't mention the price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. averge price of fish and chicken thali is 300 to 500 rupees

    ReplyDelete

My new single Graceland!